Old September 26th 17, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Default sunlight readable iphone

On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 11:23:41 PM UTC-7, krasw wrote:
On Tuesday, 26 September 2017 01:11:05 UTC+3, Eric Greenwell wrote:
krasw wrote on 9/25/2017 12:00 AM:
But apple uses same display tech as everyone else, and you only need to take the Oudie2/IGC with any other high-end smartphone and walk out to direct sunlight to make my point.

Actually, it doesn't make your point. When I take my iPhone 6 running iGlide
outside, it looks good. When I use it in my glider (two seasons now), it looks
good. My other glider has a CN 1, which was originally in the glider where I now
use iGlide/iPhone, and it looks good, too.

Why are you so reluctant to believe people using iPhones can read them
satisfactorily in the cockpit?

Because the displays suck so massively. But let's not waste any more breath, obviously there are pilots who don't like glossy smartphone displays in cockpit, and those who don't mind that at all. Out of my gliding friends 99% falls into first category. Testing your preferences is one of simplest things, just download app and use it in sunlight, there is really little to discuss about this.

Trying it is a good suggestion - however try it with one of the latest phones, not your old Motorola flip phone. Display brightness has nearly doubled in the latest generation over the previous. The Galaxy Note8 was independently tested at over 1200 nits - that is as bright or brighter than dedicated nav displays. We are waiting to see if Apple will do the same things with the same display technology.