Old April 24th 04, 12:54 AM
TaxSrv

"Richard Riley" wrote:
...and only a few hundred feet away. The transmitter is a pretty
tightly focused beam. So it's hitting you with lots and lots of
power. Your antenna could be absolutely awful and there still more
than enough power to activate your MB.

I agree there's more "slop" to work with a marker installation, but
you're overstating the case. A marker rcvr is about 150-200 times
less sensitive than a com rcvr, and the MB's transmitter puts out a
small fraction of the power of even a unicom station.

Some quick math tells me being 1500' above an outer marker is the same
as about 40 miles from a control tower for receiving comm
transmissions. Jim Weir might come up with a different number on
better assumptions, but I think he may agree a marker antenna has to
work much better than "absolutely awful."

Fred F.