Old September 4th 07, 02:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default FAA Awards $1.8 BILLION ADS-B Ground Station Contract

On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 06:22:58 -0400, Bob Noel
wrote in
:

In article ,
Larry Dighera wrote:

On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 21:48:00 -0400, Bob Noel
wrote in
:

In article ,
Larry Dighera wrote:

ADS/B will work well for the airlines, and I would guess ground
controllers will be pleased with the additional information. But what
about military aircraft?

What about military aircraft? (btw - you might want to ask about ALL
non-civilian aircraft, foreign and domestic, not just military aircraft).

From what I recall, the military has no intention to equip its
aircraft with ADA/B.

Who declared the military's intention wrt ADS-B equippage? What person?
What office?

Instead, there has been a proposal to create
another (ground based) system to broadcast their position to the ADS/B
network.

Borrelli's demo of a ADS-B/Link-16 gateway was just that, a demo.

Did you read it? Do you believe the assertions made in that document
are inaccurate?

That would seem to defeat the ability of ADS/B equipped
aircraft to detect each other independent of third parties.

well, until the Mode S mafia stops insisting that Mode S can be used for
ADS-B we are going to have a problem with the ability to detect ALL
other traffic without any gateway.

Are you aware of an ADS/B system that isn't based on Mode S?

I expect DoD aircraft will get ADS-B, assuming sufficient funding is
provided by Congress.

They claim there is no room to install the equipment in many of their
aircraft:

Who is "they"?

IIRC, it was in the at the link I provided in my previous followup.