Old September 8th 09, 04:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
drbdanieli

Default Double Release Failure

Paul,
I was fortunate enough to be trained in this procedure, albeit 35+
years ago. I was at summer camp that Fred Robinson had for kids at
Crystalaire. We're jarring a few cobwebs here but if I remember
correctly, the glider would decend to a low tow position and use the
spoilers for decent. The glider would touch down first but you had to
be careful not to stall and drop the towplane in with excessive
braking.

We had a 1-34 at the time that needed a radio installed. We didn't
have a trailer and the nearby radio shop was at a tower controlled
airport (KAPC). We called the tower and they suggested that the
glider land with the towplane that had a radio. I wasn't old enough
to fly powerplanes yet so my father flew the towplane and I flew the
glider. The airport was quite large and the flight was uneventful.

Bottom line, it's not as scary as it sounds but I would suggest proper
training before trying this on your own. Is anyone teaching this
anymore?

Barry