Old April 18th 04, 12:20 AM
Alan Baker

In article ,
Dillon Pyron wrote:

The newest "tallest building" is the Taipei 101, at over 1650 ft.

What is truly amazing are the elevators, which ascend at a rate of
over 3300 ft/min. As my wife pointed out, "my poor eardrums". Can
you get an embolism at that rate? (I'm a diver, getting a bubble is a
major issue).

Think about it for a moment.

Divers get emboli because the pressure increases one atmosphere for
every 33 feet or so.

So coming up even 100 feet is a severe change in pressure.

By definition, the pressure in air decreases only 1 atmosphere in some
like 60 *miles*. So even though a rapid ascent to the top of the Taipei
101 might be a little uncomfortable on the ears, the overall change in
pressure is unlikely to be as much as one tenth of an atmosphere.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia