Old December 23rd 05, 04:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default 12v - 12v charger

Check out

http://www.solarconverters.com/

they make, or will custom make, pretty much any DC to DC converter. They
also make stock MPPT solar charge controllers that are small in size, so
suitable for use in gliders with solar panels. An MPPT controller can gain
as much as 30% more battery charge current from a given PV panel.

all the best,

bumper
Minden, NV
"JS" wrote in message
oups.com...
Tom:
Even though my entire house runs that way, I wouldn't recommend
inverting and using a standard 120V charger. Eric points out that it's
not efficient. Better to do that in a larger system (the home is 1260W
solar, 400W wind, 48V grid tie inverter and battery backup, about 95%
efficient).
For someone with a hangar, use PV and a grid-tie inverter to run the
meter backwards during the daytime. Then plug your normal charger into
120V. This may or may not be "legal" where you live.
I've just started aquiring bits for a similar system. Perhaps with a
big enough "trailer" battery (less voltage drop as you charge the
glider) you could use two of the same charge controllers, one for the
trailer battery, one for the glider battery.

PV Panel - Solar Charge Controller - Trailer Battery - SCC - Glider
Battery.

There are solar charge controllers for around $40. But their weak
point will be whether the controller can deal with only 13-ish volts on
the supply side. PV panels generate well above their rated 12V. The 48V
array at home puts out about 100V open circuit! For an extra $50, the
model charge controllers like Udo pointed you to will work great.
There's another DC to DC model charger I've seen for $75 US. It will
do Sealed Lead Acid.
http://www.modelflight.com.au/rc_mod...ry_charger.htm
But it's in Australia.

It's great to get our electric power from the sun. Like centering a
nice thermal.
Jim