Old September 2nd 06, 05:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

Default Why don't voice radio communications use FM?

That's just not true. For a given voice signal, I can squeeze the same
amount of fidelity into an FM channel that I can into an AM channel.

The current actual transmitted bandwidth of a VHF AM signal is about 4 kHz..
Standard deviation on a VHF FM signal is 3.5 kHz.. Bessel and Armstrong to
the rescue once more {;-)

BTW, the current European channel spacing is 8.3 kHz.. Now THAT's going to
be a challenge for us AMers to meet.

Jim

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message

AM frequencies are currently 25 kHz wide. FM would require more
bandwidth. Regardless, where would you place these newly allocated
frequencies?