Old April 12th 20, 04:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Best option for electric self starting glider

jfitch wrote on 4/11/2020 6:54 PM:
Despite all the hand wringing, in over 250 self launches and a few retrieves or relights in my ASH26, I have experienced only one failure to start, and that on the first ground check after the winter layup. I have had a very few incidents of unscheduled maintenance, in every case caught at annual or during preflight, and none of which would have resulted in a failure to start. I.e, 100% reliability. Nevertheless, I consider starting the engine outside of sure and easy glide to a known landing site foolhardy and know many pilots who have done so resulting in considerable drama.

My experience with my ASH26E is essentially the same as Jon's, but with about
700-800 self-launches and over 200 in-flight restarts, with only one start
failure. And, I also always have a field within an easy glide before attempting to
start the engine.