Old October 31st 04, 10:41 PM
aluckyguess

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
Bill wrote:

(Looking for serious replies please...)

I am a ATP pilot with a general aviation background, and am growing
tired of the insecurity of the (no matter where you work) "pro pilot
job." Pagers, on call, no real vacations, etc, etc.

Another friend of mine, also an ATP, feels the same way. However we
both want to remain connected to aviation and are thinking of opening
a small aircraft sales/brokerage business, focusing on basic airplanes
such as Cessna 172/182, Piper Warrior, Beech Bonanza, etc.

Basically planes that already sell themselves....

No, we are not going to put Van Bortel or Jack Prewitt out of
business, I realize that.

Nor was Rome built in a day. We would like to get started slow, then
maybe over a 5 year time frame, have an established business running.

Not that it matters, but we both sold used cars in college and are
both BA's in Business.

This is a serious question, no flamers please. Van Bortel, Jack
Prewitt, Clay Lacy (all respected brokers) got started SOMEHOW, and I
refuse to believe that with the right mindset, business practices, and
a good plan, the playing field cannot let another newbie come into the
business.

Comments, input, etc wanted

What will you offer that they don't? That is the key determinant of your
likely success or failure. It is hard for "just another" business to join
a market. You need an angle such as Wal-Mart with their low prices
spurred to a large degree by their business model of vendor owned
inventory, for example.

Matt

Not true. If you work hard and take care of your customers any company can
do good. I would say the other most important thing is being properly
funded.
If you have to keep running to the bank the bank will make all the money.
JMHO