Old December 11th 17, 04:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default Mobile Aviation Antenna for RV

On Sunday, December 10, 2017 at 5:09:56 PM UTC-8, wrote:
yes amazing! using a cheap radio shack SWR meter and "tuning" a 1/4, 5/8 or evan a full wave antennae, makes such a big improvement in the reception and transmit functions that my motorhome 1/4 wave magnetic mount with a 18 gauge 18"x18" ground plane siliconed to the roof is getting me 100 mile reception and transmit functions on a terra 720tx radio.

Here is some good info on how to construct a ground plane:

http://www.ai4ji.com/Projects/antennas/groundplanes.htm