Old July 30th 20, 05:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default Scary story about landing on a Lake Tahoe golf course

On Wednesday, July 29, 2020 at 5:04:40 PM UTC-7, John Cochrane wrote:
This is a great and informative post. Thanks.

Daydreams are the little spur marked with a hang glider takeoff, N of king's beach? Well, I guess if you're desperate it could be a place to park and contemplate your fate. Moutain shoulders have never worked for me. Maybe with a good S component.

These days, a good glide computer set to Mc 4 glide compensates for a lot of altitude rules!

Yeah, the back higher ridge at snow looks inviting -- don't be invited.

The goal is a few more options. Yes, the golf course, if empty. If not, we need at least a place to crash and walk away from it. I put the swamp in that category, but it needs walking to find the post, fence, etc. that one can see from satellite photo.

I'm still in the category that I have to feel the ridge lift before losing glide to Carson over the back. Of course a little iron courage in behind my shoulders helps a lot to give up early!

John Cochrane

The golf course shouldn't even be an option, yet that is viewed as Option B (Option A being, of course, making it back to Truckee). It gets down to a simple reward vs risk analysis. The reward is not having to pay for an aero-retrieve from Carson. The risk is badly injuring or killing a golfer or course worker. As a golfer, I can tell you that they can appear out of nowhere without warning. The same goes for course workers. Maybe you apply the 99% rule to them w/o their knowledge. Really, if you killed or hurt someone doing this would you consider that to be a wise decision?

Tom