Old January 25th 12, 12:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
cfinn

Default Spot vs Spot Connect

We keep moving toward a total "Nanny State". SPOT and PCAS should be
mandantory for XC?. If it's that important for XC, is it any less
important to have PCAS near an airport where there's more traffic?
What about using APRS instead of SPOT? APRS position reports are more
reliable and the radio can provide two way communications, especially
in the eastern states where it's hard not to have APRS coverage.
Should we be required to carry a SPOT also? I don't argue the value of
having a traffic warning device and a position reporting system. What
I do take offense to is the "Mandatory for XC" idea. Should we also
pay a $100 per flight user fee? That could be mandatory.

Charlie

I'll just add that I think a SPOT and a PCAS (or better, eventually,
PowerFLARM) are just about a no-brainer as far as being mandatory XC
equipment. *I'll fly without a radio, but I always take my MRX and
SPOT...

Kirk
66