Old September 2nd 06, 03:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Default No more "Left Downwind"?

IMHO,
saying "left downwind" is clear, concise, and -- most importantly --
clarifies which side of the airport you're on.

I agree 100%, and would not have kept my mouth shut. Aircraft may be
low and near the airport (say, overflying) with no intent to land, yet
availing themselves of their freedom to fly in class E and G airspace,
and be listening for calls over the umpty ump airports they are flying
over. The idea that they've memorized the traffic patterns of all these
airports is ludicrous. "All available information" may even be there in
the cockpit, but it is =far= better to hear "Left downwind for 26..."
which instantly creates situational awareness, rather than "Downwind for
26..." (ohmygod, is that the one with right traffic? They said Bumee
airport, I'm over Littlefield County but they have a runway 26, maybe
that's a local name for it?...)

The extra syllable here and there is a way for people to be anal about
radio work. The real problem isn't "with you" or "left" or "looking",
but rather the windbags that take two minutes to say anything because
they haven't a clue.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.