Old January 3rd 04, 06:39 AM
Mary Shafer

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 16:27:31 -0800, Hobo wrote:

In article ,
Mary Shafer wrote:

I know that we always worried about the HiMAT (Highly Maneuverable
Aircraft Technology, a subscale research vehicle capable of 0.9 Mach)
escaping from remote-piloting control and zipping over the San
Gabriels to Pasadena because it's so close. So much so, in fact, that
we put a backup control into the back seat of an F-104 that we chased
it with.

Was the F-104 equipped to shoot down the HIMAT, if necessary?

No. It was prepared to control it well enough to get it back close
enough for the regular system to take over. I think there was also a
range safety package that would destroy the HiMAT if necessary, but I
think it was only in the control room and not in the chase plane. I'd
have to check on that, though.

Mary