Old July 4th 04, 05:17 PM
jls

"J. Severyn" wrote in message

" jls" wrote in message
When I attach it to the yoke and put the antenna on the dash over the

panel,
it refuses to get any satellites--- none. Yet it works fine in another

172
and in a Taylorcraft -- and in all the other airplanes I've used it in.
Now why is that? It will work as long as the master and radios are not

on
and the engine not running. It's a Trimble Flightmate Pro, ancient but
adequate for me. TIA for satisfaction of my burning curiosity.

Something in that 172 is generating a signal strong enough to "jam" the

GPS.
I suspect a harmonic of the LO (local oscillator) in one of the receivers

in
the aircraft. Did you try tuning the Navs, the Coms and any other

receiver
(DME) to a different frequency. That will change the LO frequency and
possibly move the harmonic outside the GPS receiver's input bandwidth.

Also
turn the transponder off to see if the LO in the transponder is the

culprit.
If that does not work, then turn off one electronic device at a

time.....and
narrow it down to the offending device. If you have a split master

switch,
you can run for a short time on the aircraft battery to rule out some sort
of high frequency oscillation in the voltage regulator. Good luck

hunting.

J. Severyn

Thanks for the helpful comment. I'll check it out.