Old October 23rd 06, 06:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc Ramsey

Default Discus verus Discus 2, LS8, ASW 28

Jack wrote:
Marc Ramsey wrote:
Jack wrote:
Enough already!

How about the DG-303?

You asking or suggesting?

I'd like to see the DG-303 included in these comparisons.

I owned a DG-303 Acro and raced it in standard class in a couple of
regionals. I've also flown a Discus 1 and an ASW-24 on a number of
occasions. The three gliders are almost indistinguishable in performance
at equivalent wing loadings. I could usually outclimb a 24, and hold my
own with a Discus. Above 80 knots (wet), a 24 was noticeably faster, I
could usually stay with a Discus. In my opinion, the Discus is the
nicest handling of the three, and the DG is a bit easier to fly well
than the 24. The DG is the most comfortable of the three for me (5'11,
200 lbs, long legs), and has the best visibility. The gelcoat on the
303 is a lot better quality than what was used on the Discus and 24.
You can get a used 303 for about the cost of a Discus or 24 that is
twice the age.

Where the newer standard class ships shine is at the higher end of the
speed range, in 90+ knot head to head runs with D2s between thermals,
I'd usually end up at the next one several hundred feet below. The
difference was a bit less dramatic with the LS8 and ASW-28. I never
felt any performance disadvantage at all relative to the Discus 1 or ASW-24.

Marc