Old October 23rd 06, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

Default Discus verus Discus 2, LS8, ASW 28

Marc Ramsey wrote:
Jack wrote:
Marc Ramsey wrote:
Jack wrote:
Enough already!

How about the DG-303?

You asking or suggesting?

I'd like to see the DG-303 included in these comparisons.

I owned a DG-303 Acro and raced it in standard class in a couple of
regionals. I've also flown a Discus 1 and an ASW-24 on a number of
occasions. The three gliders are almost indistinguishable in performance
at equivalent wing loadings. Marc

My sense after flying wingtip-to-wingtip on ridge and thermal with all
of these ships (excpept the 303) over several years is that the
variation in individual ships is way larger than the theoretical
performance variation. In other words, there are probably some D2s
that are WAY better than some LS8s; conversely, there are some LS8s
that are way better than some D2s. Things like wing smoothness
(Monday gliders), sealing, and CG seem to be much bigger factors than
the basic aircraft.

As an example, a friend of mine recently redid his ASW-27 wings; he
found waviness approaching 6 thou in several areas. He profiled and
smoothed down to less than 3 thou everywhere. If you believe
Johnson's tests, 4 thou or so is the maximum acceptable to prevent
peformance degredation.

I will admit that it seems to me like a well flown D2a is the best of
the bunch at cruise and climb (dolphin) flying, especially at high
speed. However, over a long contest with some weak weather thrown in,
I feel like my LS8 is just as good if not a little bit better. Then
again, I might be biased :-)

Erik Mann
LS8-18 P3