Old October 24th 06, 01:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stewart Kissel

Default Discus verus Discus 2, LS8, ASW 28

At 21:36 22 October 2006, Roger wrote:
How do these two gliders compare to one another?

Ah yes, winter is upon us. This sort of discussion
seems to boil down to a lot of anectodal evidence from
matching airspeed and glides and the such...out of
curiousity I might try to query further into what your
desires are.

1.) Money is no object...that extra point or two of
L/D is worth thousands?

2,) Looking cool on the ground or in the trailer is
a factor?

3.) How much is this bird going to get flown, or better
yet...raced?

4.) John Cochrane has some excellent writing on how
incremental improvements in piloting allows one to
skip a generation of gliders and still keep up...is
this a factor?

I am not posting to hurl stones here...I spent endless
hours comparing gliders before I bought my previous
two. And I think analysis is important...but defining
ones' needs is sometimes equally as significant.

Has anyone generated a graph of cost/LD when comparing
these ships? In today's market I would assume a fairly
clean Discus is 1/2 the cost of a new ship.