Old July 21st 10, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc
Ron Wanttaja[_2_]

Default Can you ID this? Attitude Indicator / Artificial Horizon

ClarkMills wrote:
Do you know which model of aircraft this came from?

http://remote.kiwi.gen.nz/ArtificalHorizon

I've got one that's almost identical, except mine has the airplane symbol:

http://www.wanttaja.com/ai.jpg

These are "ball" type AIs, my presumption is that they date from the
50's or 60's rather than WWII.

Your missing metal skin probably held the data plate. My dataplate is says:

INDICATOR - ATTITUDE REMOTE

Type MM-1
Spec MIL-I-25022
MFRS Model No 978K
MFRS Part No 100990-01
Series B-1
MFRS Serial No AF53-2735

The manufacturer is listed as "Lear, Incorporated."

However, as the AI was built to a Military Standard, the similar
appearance of yours doesn't mean it was also built by Lear.

My guess is that the Serial Number starting with 'AF53' means that it
was made for the Air Force with a contract date of 1953.

There's a separate tag for what I presume is an overhaul record.
Company name "Universal Dynamic Scientific & Engineering Consulting
Inc.", and says, "This Item Warranted for 3 Months" with the "3"
hand-written in ink.

The "Date of Overhaul" is very hard to read, but the center two digits
are "96" and the last one might be a 1 or a 7. So I'm guessing it was
overhauled in 1961 or 1967.

Ron Wanttaja