Old February 6th 12, 10:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default New Butterfly Vario

On Jan 28, 7:57*am, Ron Gleason wrote:
On Jan 27, 9:45*pm, Tony wrote:

bruno my quick read on Paul's website indicates that that is exactly
how the Butterfly works, it triggers a line in the IGC file that says
the artificial horizon was used. *Like you say I think that is a good
way to address this. If **** happens and you get sucked into a cloud
(See "Into the Bowels of Darkness" by Kempton Izuno) you have the
instrument available to save your life, but you trade your life for
zero points.

This is fine as long as WINSCORE is updated to check for these IGC
file markers. *Are there standards defined for such inclusions within
IGC files?

There are no provisions for this in Winscore .
The RC position on these devices is that they are not permissible
under the long
established rules philosophy and they will not be allowed to be used,
The RC is working with
Butterfly to determine how best to remove this feature during
competition while not adding to
the work load of the scorer and other contest workers.
This has not yet been determined.
I will provide more information on this as it becomes available.
UH
RC Chair