Old December 31st 20, 11:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Solar panel controller

Moshe Braner wrote on 12/31/2020 11:12 AM:
On 12/31/2020 12:50 PM, kinsell wrote:

Might want to be careful there.* LFP's can be badly damaged when charging under cold conditions.

Good point.* "Cold" as in "below freezing" (0C, 32F) for charging, not discharging.* It seems
like an arbitrary number (these batteries are not made of water after all) but that's what they
say.* I'd recommend at least several degrees above that for charging.* If heading into the wave
with an LFP battery, if you have solar charging, you may want to disconnect that (unless the
charge controller does that automatically - do the LFP-aware ones do that?).* Would need a
switch for that disconnection.* Otherwise it's another reason to avoid solar panels in the
glider, which can't help a lot with the battery running time anyway.

Do some LiFe batteries with a BMS stop charging at a low temperature? If so, maybe that's one
to put in the glider.