Old July 11th 05, 02:37 PM
Bill Daniels

Bert, if you mean that the consequences of mishandling the controls is
higher during a aborted launch, I agree. However, that risk is more than
adequately managed through training. I feel confident that no unmanageable
situation will arise that will hurt me or my students as long as they fly
the way they were taught.

I can't say that about air tow. While all the risks involved in winch
launch are manageable, situations beyond my control can happen with air tow.

Bill Daniels

"Bert Willing" wrote in
message ...
With all due respect from my side, I am well trained to aborted launches,

high-speed passes below 20ft along a runway, and to circeling inverted.
However, each of these situations presents an elevated risk as the margin
for errors is reduced.

Now if you think that an aborted winch launch does not represent an

elevated
risk - keep on dreaming.

--
Bert Willing

ASW20 "TW"

"Mark Newton" a écrit dans le message de
news: ...
In article ,
"Bert Willing" wrote:

I have seen (from the ground) quite a couple of critical situations
resulting from fatigued weak link breakage, and I prefer to watch angle
of
attack and speed, and pull the knob myself if necessary.

With all due respect, Bert, if a weak link breakage creates a "critical"
situation, then the pilot has a training issue which needs to be
resolved. Sounds like some cable break practice is in order.

A launch isn't supposed to be a hazardous maneuver. If there's -any-
stage during the launch where someone wouldn't be comfortable with
the cable breaking, they need to find an instructor and get some
remedial training.

- mark