Old May 5th 06, 12:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Polarized Instrument Display

Cambridge did the same for me, and it fixed the problem. They explined that
the polarization is in the cover glass for the LCD.
Some (many) "Pay-at-the-Pump" displays are invisible with my polarized
glasses

--
Hartley Falbaum

"bumper" wrote in message
Early Cambridge 302's had the screen polarization 90 degrees off. If you
never use polarized sun glasses, you'd likely never know. Wear them, and
all the other LCD's look fine except for the dark 302! Later versions
corrected the problem. I sent mine in to get it fixed, which Cambridge did
at no charge as I had them calibrate it at the same time.

all the best,

bumper
"Rick" wrote in message
Larry,
Thanks for your response. I have another pair of polarized prescription
glasses and the same thing occurs, namely I can't see the screen unless I
turn my head and look at it obliquely. Maybe my next step should be to
look at a few other LX5000 display screens with my glasses and see if
there is a difference. Thanks again.
Rick
"01-- Zero One" wrote in message
Rick,

You either have defective polarization on your glasses or the LX has
incorrect polarization on the display. You need to determine which is
your problem child. Don't be too sure that one is the culprit over the
other. Some soaring instrument manufacturers have had problems with some
of their units when the subassembly manufacturer made them with the wrong
polarization. All of your LCD instruments should have similar
polarization.

Try other polarized sunglasses and see if that fixes it. With everything
with the correct polarization, you should be able to see the LCD screens
with your head oriented to the normalized position.

Regards,

Larry
-- zero one - USA

"Rick" wrote in message

I recently bought some new polarized prescription glasses and have found
that when I look directly at the display screen on my LX5000, I can't see
anything. I can see it better if I turn my head and look obliquely at it
(not really practical). I suspect the screen has a polarization on the
surface and somehow it is reacting with the polarization on my glasses.

Does any one know of some kind of fix for the LX5000 screen for this
situation? I really don't want to change glasses.

Rick