Old September 2nd 08, 11:26 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
The Raven[_2_]

Default Yenc decoder was "Ren Yenc" - 1 attachment

"Lee" wrote in message
. 91...
"The Raven" wrote in
u:

"Clive" wrote in message
Best bet is to use a dedicated newsreader, I use Xnews, it's free!
xnews.newsguy.com

So is OE and it's supplied with the majority of computers.

I've never used OE for newsgroups, but this little prog is supposed
to make
it Y-happy.

OE is designed for newsgroups, it comes free with the computer, it's
the defacto standard, it's been in use for over a decade, very few
'new' newsreaders offer significant improvement, Yenc has been around
for years but the adoption rate is very low.

No, OE is ***NOT*** designed for newsgroups! In many ways is
antithetical regarding newsgroups.

It is a newsreader, otherwise you wouldn't see it here.
It's been around doing newgroup service longer than most other newsreader
apps.

It IS supplied in the majority of computers ONLY due to
MicroSoft's mercenary marketing tentacles.

It's downloadable, see the link I posted earlier. I'm not concerned with
anti-MS conspiracy theories.

IF YOU THINK THAT **ANYTHING** THAT "COMES WITH" YOUR IBM-CLONE
COMPUTER IS FREE, YOU NEED TO RETHINK MARKETING IN GENERAL.

Typing like a AOLuser whilst going on an anti-MS rant tends to pigeon hole
people very close to those who wear tin foil hats. The credibility to your
argument drops significantly.

And Yes, I know I'm shouting. There are NO FREE LUNCHES.

In which case, pick the product you want.

OE has a proven record and user base other apps can only hope to emulate.
Sure, it may not be the absolute best package but it does most of the things
that most of the people want.

I've yet to have a single problem viewing any pictures WHATSOEVER
by simply thinking outside the MicroSoft box... and yes, I use
an IBM-clone... and Xnews ...and NewsGuy ...and broadband. But I
am NOT subservient to MicroSoft. It's my computer. Not Gate's.

We're talking about a newsreader functionality here, not some rabid
anti-Microsoft zealots conspiracy theory.

Get past the anti-MS crap and you'll discover a product that actually does
what most people want.

Hands up all those who can remember the compression format wars? ARC, ARJ,
ZIP, LZH, ZOO etc etc.

Of all those competing formats, with their supposed competition crushing
benefits, how many are still used today? Yenc is just repeating the same old
format war, one which it's highly unlikely to win.