Old September 2nd 08, 03:23 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
HEMI-Powered[_2_]

Default Yep, this NG has changed

The Raven added these comments in the current discussion du jour

When I looked in here this morning, I found no pictures, just a
long and winding thread of people complaining about other people
wrt yEnc and Outhouse Depressed. So, yep, I guess this NG has
changed. Good luck, folks, in keeping this place alive if you
enact a rule that only original pictures are allowed.

"Lee" wrote in message
. 91...
"The Raven" wrote in
u:

"Clive" wrote in message
Best bet is to use a dedicated newsreader, I use Xnews,
it's free! xnews.newsguy.com

So is OE and it's supplied with the majority of computers.

I've never used OE for newsgroups, but this little prog is
supposed to make
it Y-happy.

OE is designed for newsgroups, it comes free with the
computer, it's the defacto standard, it's been in use for
over a decade, very few 'new' newsreaders offer significant
improvement, Yenc has been around for years but the adoption
rate is very low.

No, OE is ***NOT*** designed for newsgroups! In many ways is
antithetical regarding newsgroups.

It is a newsreader, otherwise you wouldn't see it here.
It's been around doing newgroup service longer than most other
newsreader apps.

It IS supplied in the majority of computers ONLY due to
MicroSoft's mercenary marketing tentacles.

It's downloadable, see the link I posted earlier. I'm not
concerned with anti-MS conspiracy theories.

IF YOU THINK THAT **ANYTHING** THAT "COMES WITH" YOUR
IBM-CLONE COMPUTER IS FREE, YOU NEED TO RETHINK MARKETING IN
GENERAL.

Typing like a AOLuser whilst going on an anti-MS rant tends to
pigeon hole people very close to those who wear tin foil hats.
The credibility to your argument drops significantly.

And Yes, I know I'm shouting. There are NO FREE LUNCHES.

In which case, pick the product you want.

OE has a proven record and user base other apps can only hope
to emulate. Sure, it may not be the absolute best package but
it does most of the things that most of the people want.

I've yet to have a single problem viewing any pictures
WHATSOEVER by simply thinking outside the MicroSoft box...
and yes, I use an IBM-clone... and Xnews ...and NewsGuy
...and broadband. But I am NOT subservient to MicroSoft.
It's my computer. Not Gate's.

We're talking about a newsreader functionality here, not some
rabid anti-Microsoft zealots conspiracy theory.

Get past the anti-MS crap and you'll discover a product that
actually does what most people want.

Hands up all those who can remember the compression format
wars? ARC, ARJ, ZIP, LZH, ZOO etc etc.

Of all those competing formats, with their supposed
competition crushing benefits, how many are still used today?
Yenc is just repeating the same old format war, one which it's
highly unlikely to win.

--
HP, aka Jerry

Don't be a fop or a blooter, make only pithy comments on Usenet