Old September 2nd 08, 03:52 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Lee[_2_]

Default Yenc decoder was "Ren Yenc" - 1 attachment

"The Raven" wrote in
:

It is a newsreader, otherwise you wouldn't see it here.
It's been around doing newgroup service longer than most other
newsreader apps.

Of course it is! That's why a flame war starts up
here every 10 minutes. It is a newsreader, but only
in the most marginal sense. Keith Olberman is a news
reader too, just as intolerable as MSOE and something
else I don't have any use for as my newsreader.

It's downloadable, see the link I posted earlier. I'm not concerned
with anti-MS conspiracy theories.

Tell that to everyone else in here. See how quickly
they D/L something that is multi-part and has an
extension of ".zip"

In which case, pick the product you want.

Circular logic.

OE has a proven record and user base other apps can only hope to
emulate. Sure, it may not be the absolute best package but it does
most of the things that most of the people want.

You miss the point entirely. Until the commercial news
services started making a bigger footprint, NOBODY made
money off of NNTP. Hence the cripple-ware status of MSOE
in relation to NNTP. Further proof is with the ISPs
dropping NGs like a warm turd, using the excuse of 0.08%
of the postings were "kiddie porn." There's tons more
porn of that type on the Web, but they don't address that,
do they? NO! because they make money off the web.
If MS or ATT or any other place could manipulate the prices
relating to NNTP, everyone would have easier access and
would be using MSOE.

The software that most everyone in here refuses to try is
actually forestalling the death of NNTP. MS and many of
our dear providers have been trying for ten years to kill
off UseNet, cause they can't make a buck off it.

We're talking about a newsreader functionality here, not some rabid
anti-Microsoft zealots conspiracy theory.

Odd, the non-functionality of MSOE is the root of every
argument in this swamp. The people who actually move to
a program that is capable and easy to use are the pariahs.
I don't even need to detail that nearly 98% of the viruses,
trojans, spyware etc. are written to specifically attack
MSWIN/MSOE/MS-anything.

Get past the anti-MS crap and you'll discover a product that actually
does what most people want.

Odd again. I'm using Vista as we speak, and I have copies
of every Windows version since Windows 2! I happen to
know quite well what does more than just what "most people
want." I want my computer to do what I want it to do.
MSOE doesn't handle newsgroups like I want... so I move
onward and upward.

Hands up all those who can remember the compression format wars? ARC,
ARJ, ZIP, LZH, ZOO etc etc.

Of all those competing formats, with their supposed competition
crushing benefits, how many are still used today? Yenc is just
repeating the same old format war, one which it's highly unlikely to
win.

One of the main reasons for those wars was simply entrepreneurs
filling a giant hole that MS wasn't concerned with addressing
at the time. Y-encoding is a non-issue... well, excepting
those who still using MSOE cripple-ware.

In conclusion... I've built thousands of desk-top computers
since the 8088s. There are still scars on my hands from pulling
eproms. But I can't build a laptop like the majors can.
My point? I have to use laptops. Try to go into any retailer
and ask for a laptop with NOTHING on it. You can't. If you could,
it would easily be $300.00 cheaper. As I said, there are no free
lunches. The guys who use only the software provided by the
sharks will forever remain bait. For the money they pay, they
shouldn't have to bitch about not being able to handle splits,
RARs, PARs, and poor old much-maligned Yenc.