Old September 9th 08, 02:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mike[_22_]

Default Mode S transponder display to ATC?

"Jon" wrote in message
On Sep 8, 9:54 pm, "Mike" wrote:
"Peter" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote

Some of the ModeS features will never be implemented and the ModeS
Extended
Squitter will mainly be used by the airlines. For GA, I don't think
you're
going to see much in the way of new ModeS features as the ADS-B UATs
will
be
the preferred new technology path for data link.

Indeed. You won't get Mode S on the UAT link. Two completely different
schemes.

I'm not really sure what you mean by "get Mode S".

As far as providing other services (ok, "features" , I believe one
of the things they are looking at, is taking ADS-B In to drive a TCAS
display (ADS-B is *not* currently certified for collision avoidance).

You can count on that as TCAS currently has accuracy limitations which is
why the range is quite limited, but this is more of a recent development.
As far as what I mean by "features", I'm talking about everything that ModeS
was originally intended to be capable of doing. You have to remember that
the technology is over 30 years old now. Much of what was originally
conceived will never be implemented.

AIUI, most of the rest of the world (those bits that are planning
ADS-B) are looking to do it that way.

1090 if you're one of the bigger operators, or perhaps smaller folks
with deep pockets. UAT is lower cost.

1090 only gives you TIS. UAT adds FIS (Weather, NOTAMs).

1090 is capable of considerably more than TIS. Some of that capability has
already been realized, but it remains to be seen how much more will. The
airlines already get the products you mentioned through ACARS.