Old September 10th 08, 05:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jon

Default Mode S transponder display to ATC?

On Sep 10, 12:45*am, "Mike" wrote:
"Jon" wrote in message

On Sep 9, 9:45 am, "Mike" wrote:
"Jon" wrote in message

On Sep 8, 9:54 pm, "Mike" wrote:
"Peter" wrote in message

.. .

"Mike" wrote

Some of the ModeS features will never be implemented and the ModeS
Extended
Squitter will mainly be used by the airlines. For GA, I don't
think
you're
going to see much in the way of new ModeS features as the ADS-B
UATs
will
be
the preferred new technology path for data link.

Indeed. You won't get Mode S on the UAT link. Two completely different
schemes.

I'm not really sure what you mean by "get Mode S".

What I meant was the UAT datalink is not equipped to receive (or
transmit) Mode S. But I misread what you wrote, so I guess it doesn't
matter.

1090 only gives you TIS. UAT adds FIS (Weather, NOTAMs).

1090 is capable of considerably more than TIS. Some of that capability
has
already been realized, but it remains to be seen how much more will. The
airlines already get the products you mentioned through ACARS.

Are those products received over 1090?

1090 ES doesn't have the bandwidth necessary to do much in the way of large
data transfers, however as far as the big airplanes go, there's really not
much need. *ACARS gives them far more and would not go away even if it were
possible to put those products on 1090 ES.

No doubt. I was mainly commenting on what UAT provides, not about
whether an existing 1090 user could receive those equivalent products
with a 3rd box.