Old September 10th 08, 02:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mike[_22_]

Default Mode S transponder display to ATC?

"Peter" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote

1090 ES doesn't have the bandwidth necessary to do much in the way of
large
data transfers, however as far as the big airplanes go, there's really not
much need. ACARS gives them far more and would not go away even if it
were
possible to put those products on 1090 ES.

What does ACARS run on? Satellite data, or shortwave radio?

You can read all about it on Wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACARS

I don't have that much knowledge about ACARS. All I know is ARINC maintains
that service and ACARS equipped aircraft can receive clearance delivery
service on it at major airports in the US without ever talking to ATC. I've
heard Jet-A burners say they can receive METARs, NOTAMs, and digital ATIS
information on it. I would assume airline dispatchers can send and/or
receive short text messages on it with the aircrews, but I have no idea if
this is the case.