Old November 1st 15, 12:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default AD note for G-103, Grob two seat gliders

On Friday, October 30, 2015 at 7:06:39 PM UTC+2, Robert M wrote:
A new AD note has been issued by the FAA concerning the airbrake locking system of all models of the G-103 glider certificated in any category. This means it applies to G-103s in the EXPERIMENTAL category too.

AD 2015-22-04 becomes effective 4 December 2015. And has two different compliance times. It is available at: http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory...e?OpenFrameSet

The AD references two Service Bulletins issued by the Type Certificate holder, Fiberglas Technik Rudolf Lindner GmbH in Germany. http://ltb-lindner.com/

The SBs are available at Lindner's web site.

SB-G07 Instructions for installing an inspection opening to the underside of the wings.
SB-G08 Instructions for checking the locking force of the airbrake system and adjusting it if necessary, and inspection the locking lever for cracks. It also calls for this inspection to be performed at each Annual Inspection.

Lindner is working on a permanent fix which I assume would include replacing the locking lever in question. That may take a while.

Many G-103s already have the inspection hole installed. They are a great help when doing the inspection for cracks in the locking lever and mandatory for adjusting the over center locking force. I highly recommend installing the inspection holes even if your initial inspection shows no cracks and the locking force is within limits,

If you have questions contact me at 505 269-8234

Robert Mudd
Composite Aircraft Repair
Moriarty, New Mexico.

The new AD is for the Twin IIs. The Twin Is had this for ages.
The incident which triggered the AD had one airbrake pop open at the start of the tow. The instructor opened the other one, continued the tow and landed safely. Thankfully, the tug was a Pawnee :-)
Subsequent inspection found another cracked bellcrank on another glider in the same club.
Uri