Old October 23rd 08, 01:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cats

Default Broke Airline Pilot needs "stuff" for an ASW-15B

On Oct 23, 2:06*am, wrote:
I recently bought a 1972 ASW-15B. *I am on a budget to fix this up.
I'm looking for stuff that works, doesn't look flashly, but fits the
need.

I need a:

1. GPS data logger thats contest worthy

Depends what your rules require. If you want a badge-worthy logger,
the cheapest option if you can find it will be something like an EW
model D with an approved GPS, but it will take time to find them on
Ebay.

If buying new, the new EW Microrecorder is well worth considering -
it've very simple, can be fed 12v from the glider's supply and if you
do that it can feed not only the NMEA stuff to a PDA, but also 5v.

2. PDA device and connections

Look into a Palm device from Ebay (depends on what model, something
like the M500 which is b&w is worth looking for otherwise the word
goes that a Tungsten T is the thing to use) and Soaring Pilot which is
free.

3. Wing Rigger so I can assemble by myself

If you know someone who has one (to copy) and someone who can weld, a
bit of bribery might work cheap wonders.

4.Gear so I can tow it by myself to the runway

Same answer as #3, but you have to take great care it will do the job
without damaging the glider. Buying #3 and #4 might cost as much as
the glider did.

However none of the airline pilots I know are broke, or anything like
it!