Old March 17th 07, 12:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Borat

Default Flying in the USA vs. Europe

"Sylvain" wrote in message
t...
Jay Honeck wrote:

That is so frustrating. We want to show our kids our European roots,
but the thought of riding a train -- even a very nice train -- just
isn't as appealing as flying a light plane. I just don't see any way
to ever be able to afford it.

well, you might compromise a bit; trains to actually go places (remember
that i) shorter distances and higher density of population make it
quite a practical mode of transportation more often than not faster than
flying the airlines -- and without the hassle; and ii) trains in Europe
go reasonably fast; and iii) you might be able to buy passes
in USA providing you with significant discounts); and flying a light
plane in places that are not completely GA hostile, e.g., in UK where you
can rent/fly a G- registered aircraft with your FAA certificate, no
extra paperwork;

Some of the other countries will require a licence validation and generally
to fly a locally registered aircraft with the FAA certificate, it is
normally restricted to day VFR only.

However you have full privileges when you fly an N reg (if you can rent one)
but the price would make your eyes water.

For getting around Europe public transport and the trains are by far the
most effective and cheap way and that can be backed up with car hire.

Travelling by light aircraft isolates you from most of the experience of
being in Europe namely the people, the sights etc and if you took a rental
plane from London to Milan and had to leave it there because of weather then
you would be sorry.

There are certain things that are expensive here relatively but then the
European salaries compensate. It is too bad the dollar is such a lush at the
moment.

In August 2001 when I was in Las Vegas the rate of exchange was $1.30 to £1.
In Jan when on vacation in Florida it was $1.98 to £1.
I had a job spending it all and ended up bring a fair bit back. The same has
happened with the Euro.