Old March 17th 07, 06:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
G. Sylvester

Default Flying in the USA vs. Europe

Jay Honeck wrote:
How *can* you get lost with a Garmin 430? Or any GPS, for that
matter?

It would take a concerted effort to get lost with a moving-map in the
panel...

He also didnt' want to check the fuel after fueling up as someone else
just brought the club plane back. He also couldn't find his checklist.
Fortunately he found it during the run up. Not sure if he used it...at
least from my 18 hours of training at the time he got most of the
important GUMPS stuff. From the back seat, I saw some trees wiz by our
wings, I saw how low we were going into Rosenheim. And his radio calls
going into Salzburg (he had no idea where he was). And the radio calls
coming out of Salburg. And then when flying from Salzburg back to
Augsburg ATC said "Cessna xxxxx, if you are flying to Augsburg, you
might want to make a right 90 degree turn." And worst of all, he
smelled bad. Real bad.

the time my friend got scared with him, he was flying over the Alps with
about 600 lbs of people plus fuel so they were probably close to MGTOW
in a 180 hp 172SP up around 10000 feet during the summer. That doesn't
leave much room for error.

Yup, just scary.

Gerald