Old March 17th 07, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Borat

Default Flying in the USA vs. Europe

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ups.com...
What a great idea to try..and very interesting results.

Someday...maybe. From Borchert's descriptions, it sounds like flying
in Europe is what flying in America would be like if ATC were run by
the Iowa Division of Motor Vehicles...

;-)

(Having just paid $900 to the DMV for another one of those stupid blue
"Lodging" signs out on the freeway, I feel qualified to comment on
what a rip-off that department is. But I digress...)

We just got home. The tale of the tape: 2008 miles, covering 15 (of
the 48) mainland United States.

Actually, we got routed around the (very active) Lindbergh MOA in
Missouri, so add another 50 miles to that total...!

Be ready to weep for me then.
I just got did my FAA IR currency with a couple of approaches to Cambridge
UK. Three times round the hold, an NDB approach and miss followed by
another hold and an ILS approach with a full stop landing cost me £47 or $92
inc tax. The landing itself cost $39 and was "discounted" as an incentive
to use the airport for approaches.

In another two months I will have to go through the same again to remain
current. Mind you I might drop of to Calais in France where its cheaper at
the airport but its an 80 minutes flying away so by the time you have been
there and back over the Channel its has cost the same.