Old April 22nd 04, 02:07 PM
Trent Moorehead

"Sam" wrote
Hey Trent,

I think there's two different versions of the simulator going around.
There's one that uses virtual reality goggles or something and spins
around on the vertical axis only.

Yeah, the one I rode spun on the vertical axis only, but I didn't wear any
goggles. Really, all it was was something like MS Flight simulator (a small
CRT, joystick and the fake transponder with a large lit ident button)
enclosed in a mock cockpit with no reference to the outside, but it was
remarkably effective regardless. I think the slight movement as it spun
(which felt like a light bumping sensation) helped to make the experience
more real. But man, when you looked down to press that ident button....Let's
just say it was the worst case of vertigo I've ever experienced. Actually
the only case of vertigo I've ever experienced, so it was good to feel what
a severe case of it felt like.

Sounds like the one you rode was even more effective. I'll have to check it
out when and if it comes around.

-Trent
PP-ASEL