Old August 25th 10, 01:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

Default required LD versus required MC to make it home

On Aug 24, 2:54*pm, mattm wrote:
On Aug 24, 4:44*pm, Ramy wrote:

On Aug 24, 1:11*pm, mattm wrote:

Reichmann points out that MC 1 is a better setting if you are in
desparation mode, because you give up only a little glide distance
but you get to sample more air in a given time.

Are you sure about that? MC=0 will give you more time and more air to
sample (beeing the best L/D speed) than MC=1. I always use MC=0 when I
switch to survival mode unless I am also battling significant head
wind.

Ramy

Yes, it's true. *It's on the last page of this paper:http://www.dragonnorth.com/djpresent...training_for_c...

"A lot of pilots flew and fly unnecessarily low average
speeds when they get low, because they are anxious
and fly with a zero setting. They don’t know that with a
setting at 1 knot they have almost the same glide angle
and lose much less average speed in case they recover
and complete the task."

In my plane (ASW-19) MC=0 speed is 53kts, and L/D is 38:1.
MC=1 speed is 61kts, and L/D is 35:1. *Granted my sink rate
is about 30fpm faster, but I'll have almost 20% greater range to find
that thermal I need to get back up again.

-- Matt

Matt I'm afraid you missunderstood Reichmann comment. He claimed that
you will lose less average speed with MC1 which is true. But you will
not gain 20% greater range. On the contrary, Your search range will
always be less if you fly faster than MC=0 (unless you have
significant head wind which requires flying faster than best L/D).
Bottom line, as other pointed out, it all depends on your goal. If you
are flying contest, in which every second counts, then flying correct
MC is important. If you fly for OLC or distance, like I believe the
majority of XC flights are, and your main objection is to make it back
home at the end of the day (as the subject lline says), than fly MC 0
when you are in survival mode or starting your final glide.

Ramy