Old November 3rd 04, 09:07 PM
C Kingsbury

"David Brooks" wrote in message

That being so, and despite what should be an apolitical setting, I can no
longer in good faith keep company with a group of which the majority, I
know, has elected to deliver the country I love, and chose as my home,

into
the hands of Bush and his repressive, regressive masters.

Get a $&%@!ing helmet, dude.

I'm a pro-life, pro-gun, low-tax Republican living in Boston, Massachusetts
for the past ten years. Most of the people I know don't understand how an
educated, reasonable person like me could vote for "that chimp." One of my
best friends is a hardcore lesbian environmental journalist who went to
Smith, and I've worked on the staff of one of the alternative newspapers up
here. Let's just say that when I went to the Halloween party this year, all
the goths, gays, trannies, and just plain weirdos looked at me like I was
the freak. Well hey, in Cambridge, I am.

These people are mad Kerry didn't run a liberal campaign and can't stand
that he "was just as pro-war as Bush." Given the choice they'd like us to
pull out of Iraq and beg the UN's forgiveness, raise taxes back to 70% on
income over $200k, tax gas at $3/gallon, ban every gun out there, and make
gay sex a part of grade-school curricula. Need I say that I think their
policies would devastate this country just as terribly as you think W's
policies will?

Still, I've managed to become and remain friends with quite a few of these
people because I realize that they're not actually bad people, just
misguided. Naturally they feel the same about me. Some of them I'm happy to
have long debates with over vast quantities of alcohol, others I only talk
about other topics with. Life goes on and is richer for the company of
people who think differently than I do.

51% of this country did not vote for fascism, they voted for George W. Bush.
There's a difference if you care to see it.

-cwk.