Old April 17th 06, 02:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default slightly OT - NASA ER-2

".Blueskies." wrote in news:A6B0g.16388
:

"Skywise" wrote in message

I had made passing mention recently about spotting a U2 aircraft
cruising around southern California. Well, this past week I
managed to get some good photographs of it and have put up a
webpage about it. Turned out to be a NASA ER-2.

http://www.skywise711.com/misc/ER2/ER2.html

Brian
--

Nice shots! I wonder how the shots they took of you turned out? ;-)

Yeah, me too!! I do wonder what it's mission was....studying the LA
smog? Updating Google Earth? Looking for people looking at airplanes
with their telescope? ehhehehe Maybe I should hold up a sign that
says, "hi mom!"

Next, I'm going to callibrate the optical system so I can determine
a range, and therefore an approximate altitude. I have a hunch it
wasn't flying very high, as at zenith I could still make out it's shape
clearly naked eye. But then, I might be considered a trained, well,
experienced observer. I'm used to staring into telescopes straining
to pick out the faint fuzzy thing at the verge of seeing.

Hmmm...I just had a funny idea. Since I have a website, I could make
up a really complicated email address that isn't likely to be guessed,
and then put a sign on the roof saying, "If you can read this, email
".

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?