Old March 6th 09, 01:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
cemx86

Default AR3201 Harness?

Noel,

Glad to see that you are using Tefzel. The message must be getting
through! It would seem to me that pulling out the entire harness and
rewiring it to the mic, PTT, speaker, battery, etc, would be much more
time consumming and difficult than some judicious soldering insulated
with heat shrink. But that's your call.

What I wanted to bring up is - watch out for breakers in our glider's
non-electricity generating environment. Breakers, except for the all
electronic type, drop anywhere from 0.25VDC up to 2.0VDC across them
depending on the amp rating (smaller is worse). In an airplane, with
their generator and 13.6-14.0VDC constant voltage environment, this
isn't much of an issue. But when running with the constantly falling
voltage battery bound glider situation, any voltage drop should be
avoided. This is the reason that "bigger is better" is the way to go
with wiring (which also can have voltage drops). See
http://aviation.derosaweb.net/presentations for some more thoughts.

Finally, you need to get your work inspected and signed off by an FAA
licenses tech. This is a given for standard certified aircraft. But
is also a requirement for experimental certified aircraft, unless you
built 51% of your glider, which seems kinda doubtful.

My $0.02