Old November 13th 20, 01:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

Default Truck vs Car as a tow vehicle

On Friday, November 13, 2020 at 12:52:11 AM UTC-5, kenward1000 wrote:
Les Sebald, the long time owner of Soar Truckee, would tell anyone who would listen, to buy a 74 Cadillac Coupe DeVille. Heavy enough that the trailer couldn't wag the dog. Low hitch height. Plenty of power. Comfy ride for your driver. Style points.

The type or class of vehicles which hasn't been mentioned here (unless I missed it) is the 'Full-sized Van'. I tow a two-axle trailer with a Ford E150 conversion van, which I bought used in an estate sale for a song and a dance. It has a 5.8 L V8 and it is my weekend/vacation/airport vehicle - not my daily beater - so I really don't care about the economy of that beast. So far, I have done several 3,000+ mile round-trips across the US and it is a very comfortable, quiet ride. It has not been overpowered by the trailer (yet), which has brakes in good working order and is equipped with a tire pressure/temperature monitoring system. The van has the short overhang which enhances the stability and the tow hitch is positioned such that I don't scrape the ground when pulling into a gas station. Overall, a big thumbs-up for this class of vehicles - a perfect fit for my situation.

Uli
'AS'