Old March 7th 12, 02:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Allan[_4_]

Default Pros and Cons of a 501(c)(3) Operation

Having been commodore of a couple of yacht clubs I can say that
everyone thinks that becoming a 501c3 organisation will open the flood
gates for fundraising, that people will stand in line to give you
money because they will get a tax break. The reality is that when it
comes to raising funds sailing and soaring enthusiats don't generate
too much sympathy when it comes to raising money. In the meantime a
lot of effort needs to go into the application and there will also be
more effort every year in filling out the additional financial
reports. plus you come under additional government scrutiny. SO . . .
you've guessed it - in my opinion, unless you have someone who has
stated he/she will make a sizable donation to your oranization if it
is tax deductible then don't bother with it. Allan.