Old March 2nd 17, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Do you crab or forward slip in X wind landings

Thanks Cindy B for the instructing ideas there.

Way back getting instruction in a Cessna I once got scolded by an instructor for looking out to the side during the flare in order to better gauge my height above the runway. The instructor thought that moving my head would have my hands follow. Maybe that is the case for some students, but it certainly wasn't in my case. After all, I've been riding bicycles for years, keeping the handlebar steady while looking all around for traffic.

Regarding knowing when the wings are level, it is hard for a student to tell by looking at one wing tip due to dihedral. It looks like the wing is sloped up, because it is. Thus the need to look at the other wingtip and compare. It gets easier when you (1) get used to the specific ship, (2) learn to notice the relationship of the horizon in front of you and the seat below you, and (3) learn to notice even a slow drift in heading.