Old December 5th 06, 06:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Default Cobra Trailer

wrote:

I've never opened my Cobra's square tube linkages where the gas springs
live but I suspect one reason for the longevity is that the springs are
mounted so that the lubricating oil is always around the piston rod and
seal rather than up at the higher end of the cylinder where it doesn't
do any good.

Gas spring manufacturers say to mount the rod on the bottom for that
reason, something I didn't appreciate when I replaced them on my
mini-van the first time. The second set of replacements has lasted a lot
longer!

The small gas spring (like the one on the front Cobra door) on my
engine's retraction system seems to need replacing every 5 years. I
attribute this to the high engine bay temperatures after the engine
retracts and the doors close.

The temperature range I've see specified for gas springs is -30 F to
+175 F, unless you pay extra. I cautiously avoid opening my trailer at
either extreme .

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA
* "Transponders in Sailplanes"