Old August 8th 05, 08:50 PM
Eric Greenwell

Bob Caldwell wrote:
After seeing the thread about the PIK canopies I wanted
to ask if anyone had taken any extra ordinary steps
to seal an ASW canopy. To date all I have done is
to put some sticky back foam at the front near the
demist vent. It is pretty good but I suspect it can
be better. I have heard that it helps to run the same
foam all way around the fuse in the depression along
the canopy opening. Thoughts????

Do you have a specific problem you are trying to cure, such as a whistle
from the back edge or cold air leaking in right at the front? Those are
places where my ASH 26 E has problems, generally only in winter flying.

The rear is easily solved by putting about 2 feet of thin open cell foam
weather-stripping on the canopy frame, usually renewing it in the Fall.

The front is much more difficult, due to the shearing action during
closing and canopy shrinkage in the winter. Most of the cold air on my
glider actually comes in the front vent, which is not fully sealed by
the vent flap. Taping over about 50% of the vent area and putting some
soft foam on the flapper valve to seal against the remaining area makes
a big difference. Again, I do this each Fall, removing the tape in the
late spring.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA