Old January 15th 04, 10:13 PM
Matt Wiser

"weary" wrote:

"Greg Hennessy" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 16:32:04 GMT, "Matt Wiser"

wrote:

I don't know what Truman had on his desk

at
the time and you don't either.

You ask someone who did his MA thesis on

the invasion that last
question?

ROTFL! Ohhh, I felt that kick in the slats

landing from here.

Yeah ... reading yet another post that doesn't
contain a single
reference as a source and contains unverifiable
claims really
knocks the stuffing out of me.

I used the ACTUAL plans for the Invasion: Plan DOWNFALL from MacArthur's
HQ, OP PLAN OLYMPIC, also from MacArthur's HQ, both dated 25 May 45, and
OP PLAN CORONET, from MacArthur's HQ, dated 15 Aug 45; CINCPAC OP PLAN 10-45
OLYMPIC from Nimitz's HQ dated 8 Aug 45, and AMPHIBSFORPAC (Amphibious Forces
Pacific) OP PLAN A11-45 OLYMPIC dated 11 Aug 45; for books, check out John
Ray Skates' The Invasion of Japan, DOWNFALL by Richard Frank, Code-Name DOWNFALL
by Norman Polmar and Thomas Allen, The Reports of General MacArthur, as well
as MHQ Magazine, Strategy and Tactics, Marine Corps Gazette, Proceedings,
etc. LOTS and LOTS of info the I used. And check Frank, as well as Polmar
and Allen for the decision making on whether to use the bomb or "Climb Olympus"
(invade). I did the thesis, evaled the info, and came to a conclusion that
the BOMB AS USED PREVENTED A BLOODBATH; You still haven't answered the question
as to what you would have done. Bomb and Blockade, Invade, or use Little
Boy/Fat Man. I prefer the latter to the other two.