Old May 4th 12, 05:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

Default What to do with L-13?

On May 3, 9:56*pm, Frank Whiteley wrote:
On Thursday, May 3, 2012 9:34:28 PM UTC-6, Bill D wrote:
On May 3, 9:25*pm, Frank Whiteley wrote:
On Thursday, May 3, 2012 10:33:42 AM UTC-6, soartech wrote:
Open up the wing, wrap the spar with Kevlar and carbon fiber/epoxy and
carbon rod top and bottom.
Lots of info on this at many web sites. Reassemble the wing. Do a 10G
sandbag test.
Document everything and ask for an experimental certificate from your
local FAA.
Or call it an L-13plus and go fly.

I think an easier major modification towards an experimental certificate might be struts (which I suggested to MM long ago and was also suggest by some gent in Brazil).

It actually might look okay with struts;^)

I think someone else said the FAA isn't going to allow an 'end run'
around the AD by converting it to an Experimental Airworthiness
Certificate - even with struts slapped on.

Probably not, but there are provisions for taking certified aircraft to experimental following major modifications. *Auto engine conversions come to mind.

These aren't Experimental Homebuilt or Experimental Racing &
Exhibition - they're Experimental Engineering Test. Don't expect to
use one for flight instruction. I don't think this is a realistic
option.