Old December 5th 03, 06:16 PM
C J Campbell

"RD" wrote in message

| 1. Are basic GPS modules such as the ones you take camping/fishing good
| enough?

No. They are almost as expensive as dedicated aviation GPS receivers without
nearly the utility.

| 2. What about PalmPilot/Windows CE based hand held units?

Some are very good, even better than the dedicated units.

| 3. Is it worth buying a decent Garmin model?

Yes.

| What are your experiences?

I used GARMIN handhelds for a long time, but now most of the planes that I
fly have panel mounted units certified for IFR. I think it is better to buy
a plane of your own. Form a partnership if you have to. Then you can have a
decent IFR GPS any time you need it.