Old December 6th 03, 01:05 AM
Doug Pearce

I have recently purchases my second Garmin the GPSMAP196 it covers aviation
with the full database, marine and a motoring street guide. It's very
good!
"RD" wrote in message
Good day,

Can someone give me an opinion on what type of GPS unit is good enough for
me. I'm a GA pilot, very low time, looking for a decent GPS to take along
for some X/C flying in the rentals. Just need to see highways and cities
etc. I'm not very worried about airspace as there isn't much around my

local
airport and the charts do a good enough job.

1. Are basic GPS modules such as the ones you take camping/fishing good
enough?
2. What about PalmPilot/Windows CE based hand held units?
3. Is it worth buying a decent Garmin model?

What are your experiences?

Thanks,
Ryan