Old September 4th 07, 02:58 AM
bagmaker bagmaker is offline
Senior Member

Location: Melbourne Australia

This is terrible news, with another winch launching death in Australia on the weekend.

Condolances to all touched by these horrible events.

On another thread JJ Sinclair offered temporary sticks/supports for wings about to depart from outlanding alone.

Has anyone used such a temporary strut system for winching?

Hang glider pilots use dollies during ground roll, with few failures, can we change our ways with a bit of kit to keep the wing off the ground for the first 3 seconds?

bagger

PS

I have long been considering a flexible strut (think Falke) inbuilt to the winglet/trailing edge of new gliders (mainly SLMGs) to assist in lone take-offs.

This strut would rotate electrically with the landing gear actuation and although limited to the height of the winglet, would keep the tip well off the ground during landing and takeoff.
I offered the idea to Jonkers in full but got no reply- would anyone else like to run with it?