Old August 25th 07, 06:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Doug Semler

Default If GA is down, why aren't used aircraft prices?

"Dallas" wrote in message

If the number of private pilots is down from 299,000 to 236,000, why are
prices for used aircraft maintaining and even out pacing inflation?

Economics 101, first day of class - price is determined by supply and
demand. Yet I've noticed over the past couple of years the average price
for a late '70's Cessna 172 has floated up from $59,000 to $66,000.
Cessna 150s have gone from $22,000 to $26,000.

Mind you, this is a completely subjective observation on my part, but it
does seem accurate.

Not disagreeing, but have you considered that the demand for privately
(personal or club) owned planes might be increasing even though the numbers
of actual pilots are down? In other words, it may be more of a case that
there are more people now who can afford the planes...

--
Doug Semler, MCPD
a.a. #705, BAAWA. EAC Guardian of the Horn of the IPU (pbuhh).